Japanese language support classes not included in the regular curriculum
Separate from the Japanese language classes in the Liberal Arts and Sciences curriculum, the Center offers Introduction to Japanese I, Introduction to Japanese II, Intermediate Japanese Course I, Intermediate Japanese Course II, Advanced Japanese Course, Business Japanese as Japanese language support classes.
Students are not eligible to acquire credit for these Japanese language support classes.
These classes are offered to meet the diverse needs of international students studying at Kyoto University, such as follows.
- Students who have limited time due to the demands of their study and research, but want to learn enough Japanese to facilitate student life.
- Students who study primarily at Katsura, Uji Campus or Inuyama and hence cannot come to Yoshida Campus, but need Japanese language proficiency to carry out their studies and research.
- Students who aim to develop Japanese language abilities applicable in business situations and who are interested in working for Japanese companies or Japanese-affiliated companies.
The Center aims to help students achieve their goals by providing opportunities to study Japanese that are suited to their varying needs.
The Introduction to Japanese I/II and Intermediate Japanese Course I/II are designed for students to be able to study the language efficiently and progress to the Japanese language classes in the Liberal Arts and Sciences curriculum.
Note that international students and researchers who do not need to obtain credit for Japanese language study are eligible to take these classes. However, family members of international students and family members of researchers are not eligible to take these classes.
Classes offered in 2021
Introduction to Japanese I, Introduction to Japanese II, Intermediate Japanese Course I, Intermediate Japanese Course II, Advanced Japanese Course, Business Japanese are offered as Japanese language support classes as below.
- Introduction to Japanese I is for students who need to study the minimum Japanese necessary to help facilitate their daily studies and research. Introduction to Japanese II is for students who have finished Introduction to Japanese I.
- Intermediate I course has "In-person course" and "Online course".
- Intermediate II and Advanced Japanese course are conducted online.
- Students should take the online classes with their own devices.
Japanese language support classes offered in 2021
The classrooms may be changed due to the spread of COVID-19 infections. The latest update will be announced via E-mail to applicants who have completed the registration.
※You can check the syllabus for each class here
※For Introduction to Japanese I, two class times are offered, but the content is the same for both classes.
Textbook for Japanese Language Support Classes not Included in the Regular Curriculum
|Class title||Campus||Class/week||Day &Time||Place||Credits|
Introduction to Japanese I ①
15:00 - 16:30
|Room 2, 1st floor, Yoshida International House||None|
Introduction to Japanese I ②
13:15 - 14:45
|Room 32, 3rd floor, Yoshida South Campus Academic Center Bldg. No.1||None|
|Introduction to Japanese II||Yoshida||1||Fri.
15:00 - 16:30
|Room 5, Basement, Yoshida International House||None|
|Intermediate Japanese Course I B ①||Online||1||Fri.
13:15 - 14:45
|Intermediate Japanese Course I B ②||Yoshida||1||Fri.
15:00 - 16:30
|Room 23, 2nd floor, Yoshida South Campus Academic Center Bldg. No.1||None|
|Intermediate Japanese Course II B||Online||1||Thu.
13:15 - 14:45
|Advanced Japanese Course B||Online||1||Fri.
10:30 - 12:00
|Business Japanese B||Yoshida||1||Tue.
8:45 - 10:15
|Room 4, Basement, Yoshida International House||None|
●Students take the class with their own devices.
Regarding the registration procedure
Please be sure to register through the “Japanese language registration webpage” below.
Regarding the placement test
|Class title||Placement test/Test period|
|Introduction to Japanese I||Not required|
|Introduction to Japanese II
Intermediate Japanese I, II
September 15（Wed）9：00 ～ September 17（Fri）17：00
Select one class to take based on the result of the online placement test. Students are not allowed to take different level classes at the same time. However, it is possible to take the Advanced Japanese Course and Business Japanese at the same. Only advanced level students are allowed to take Business Japanese.
- Please refer to the academic calendar for the schedule of Japanese language classes.
- Applicants must register for their classes online during the registration period.
- After the registration deadline, students are not permitted to attend classes they have not registered.
- Applicants are only allowed to register for the classes which are suited to their Japanese language ability.
- Students who want to take Introduction to Japanese II course and above level need to take a placement test.
If you wish to register for Japanese language classes in the Liberal Arts and Sciences Curriculum as well as Japanese language support classes not included in the regular curriculum, you must complete registration STEP1 separately for each of two types of classes through their respective web pages. You should only take the placement test once, however. Following the instructions sent via-email, you must then complete class registration STEP2 separately as you did in STEP1.
- The level from which a student will be allowed to choose his/her classes is determined based on the results of the placement test. We will let you know how to check for your placement test results by email. You may not be able to take some of the classes you opted to take depending on your test results.
- If you want to consult about registration (cases where the result of Placement test differs from the level you chose in Registration (STEP1), the Japanese language coordinators are available for consultation during the online advisory service days. If you wish to take the Online advisory service, make an online reservation in advance through the URL put in the E-mail announcing the result of the Placement test.
Reminders about Taking Japanese Language Support Classes
- Dropping a class
- Withdrawal from the course is not allowed after the finalization of class registration but if you cannot continue attending a class, you must inform the instructor and the office of the Liberal Arts and Sciences Courses Student Desk (1st floor of the Institute for Liberal Arts and Sciences building #87) that you are dropping the class.
- Information on class cancellations
- All information on class cancellations and other class-related issues are is informed in class, on email or on the bulletin board at the Yoshida International House. Inquiries by telephone will not receive a reply.
- Cancellation of classes and make-up exams
- Classes may be cancelled in the case of weather warnings and suspension of transportation services. Information regarding make-up classes in the event of cancellation of classes is informed in class, on email, or on the bulletin board at the Yoshida International House.
- Office Hours for Japanese Language Studies
- If you need advice concerning your Japanese language studies, you may contact us during office hours.
Monday KAWAI, Junko 15:00-16:30 Tuesday IEMOTO, Tarou 16:45-18:15 Wednesday YUKAWA, Shikiko 15:00-16:30 Thursday PALIHAWADANA, Ruchira 15:00-16:30 Friday AKUZAWA, Koyo 15:00-16:30
The schedule for registering classes of the second semester in 2021 is as follows.
|Sept. 6 (Mon.) 9:00||Online Registration STEP1 opens|
|Sept. 12 (Sun.) 23:59||Online Registration STEP1 closes|
|Sept. 15 (Wed.) 9:00
～ Sept. 17 (Fri.) 17:00
|Placement test (online)|
|Sept. 22 (Wed.) 13:00||Placement test score is sent by e-mail|
|Sept. 22 (Wed.) 13:00||Online Class Registration STEP2 opens|
|Sept. 28 (Tue.) 13:00||Online Class Registration STEP2 closes
※When a class is oversubscribed, its attending members are selected by lottery. (1st lottery)
|Sept. 28 (Tue.) 18:00
～ Sept. 29 (Wed.) 9:00
Students who lost 1st lottery can apply for open classes.
※When a class is oversubscribed, its attending members are selected by lottery. (2nd lottery)
|Oct. 1 (Fri.)||Classes begin|
|Oct. 1. (Fri.) 8:30
～ Oct. 13 (Wed.) 13:00
|Japanese language class registration adjustment
If you want to cancel the classes you registered, send a message to A30kyomuj@mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp during this period.
|Oct. 11 (Mon)||Online Advisory service
If students want to consult about registration (cases where the result of Placement test differs from the level you chose in STEP1 of the online registration, etc), they may consult with the Japanese language coordinators during the advisory service day.
|Oct. 13 (Wed.) 13：00||Finalization of class registration|