Japanese language support classes not included in the regular curriculum
Separate from the Japanese language classes in the Liberal Arts and Sciences curriculum, the Center offers Introduction to Japanese I, Introduction to Japanese II, Intermediate Japanese Course I, Intermediate Japanese Course II, Advanced Japanese Course, Business Japanese as Japanese language support classes.
Students are not eligible to acquire credit for these Japanese language support classes.
These classes are offered to meet the diverse needs of international students studying at Kyoto University, such as follows.
- Students who have limited time due to the demands of their study and research, but want to learn enough Japanese to facilitate student life.
- Students who study primarily at Katsura, Uji Campus or Inuyama and hence cannot come to Yoshida Campus, but need Japanese language proficiency to carry out their studies and research.
- Students who aim to develop Japanese language abilities applicable in business situations and who are interested in working for Japanese companies or Japanese-affiliated companies.
The Center aims to help students achieve their goals by providing opportunities to study Japanese that are suited to their varying needs.
Furthermore, students who were not able to register in time for Japanese language classes in the Liberal Arts and Sciences curriculum because of a delay in their arrival are eligible to take these Japanese classes. The Introduction to Japanese I/II and Intermediate Japanese Course I/II are designed for students to be able to study the language efficiently and progress to the Japanese language classes in the Liberal Arts and Sciences curriculum.
Note that international students and researchers who do not need to obtain credit for Japanese language study are eligible to take these classes. However, family members of international students and family members of researchers are not eligible to take these classes.
Classes offered in 2020
Introduction to Japanese I, Introduction to Japanese II, Intermediate Japanese Course I, Intermediate Japanese Course II, Advanced Japanese Course, Business Japanese are offered as Japanese language support classes as below.
- Introduction to Japanese I is for students who need to study the minimum Japanese necessary to help facilitate their daily studies and research. Introduction to Japanese II is for students who have finished Introduction to Japanese I.
- The classes listed below are offered via distance learning to the indicated campus.
・Intermediate Japanese Course I and Advanced Japanese Course are held at Katsura campus and offered via distance learning to Uji campus.
・Intermediate Japanese Course II is held at Yoshida campus and offered via distance learning to Katsura campus and Primate Research Institute in Inuyama.
・Intermediate Japanese Course I takes place also in Yoshida Campus.
Japanese language support classes offered in 2020
There are cases in which the registration schedule and class timetable are changed due to the spread of COVID-19 infections. The latest update will be announced via E-mail to applicants who have completed the registration.
※You can check the syllabus for each class here
※For Introduction to Japanese I, two class times are offered, but the content is the same for both classes.
Textbook for Japanese Language Support Classes not Included in the Regular Curriculum
|Class title||Campus||Class/week||Day &Time||Credits|
Introduction to Japanese I ①
14:45 - 16:15
Introduction to Japanese I ②
13:00 - 14:30
|Introduction to Japanese II||Yoshida||1||Fri.
14:45 - 16:15
|Intermediate Japanese Course I B ①||Yoshida||1||Fri.
14:45 - 16:15
|Intermediate Japanese Course I B ②||Katsura (Uji via distance learning)||1||Fri.
13:00 - 14:30
|Intermediate Japanese Course II B||Yoshida (Katsura and Inuyama via distance learning)||1||Thu.
13:00 - 14:30
|Advanced Japanese Course B||Katsura (Uji via distance learning)||1||Fri.
10:30 - 12:00
|Business Japanese B||Yoshida||1||Tue.
14:45 - 16:15
Regarding the registration procedure
Please be sure to register through the “Japanese language registration webpage” below.
Regarding the placement test
|Class title||Placement test/Test period|
|Introduction to Japanese I||Not required|
|Introduction to Japanese II
Intermediate Japanese I, II
September 14 (Mon)～ September 16 (Wed)
Select one class to take based on the result of the online placement test. Students are not allowed to take different level classes at the same time. However, it is possible to take the Advanced Japanese Course and Business Japanese at the same. Only advanced level students are allowed to take Business Japanese.
- Please refer to the academic calendar for the schedule of Japanese language classes.
- Applicants must register for their classes online during the registration period.
- After the registration deadline, students are not permitted to attend classes they have not registered.
- Applicants are only allowed to register for the classes which are suited to their Japanese language ability.
- Students who want to take Introduction to Japanese II course and above level need to take a placement test.
If you wish to register for Japanese language classes in the Liberal Arts and Sciences Curriculum as well as Japanese language support classes not included in the regular curriculum, you must complete registration STEP1 separately for each of two types of classes through their respective web pages. You should only take the placement test once, however. Following the instructions sent via-email, you must then complete class registration STEP2 separately as you did in STEP1.
- The level from which a student will be allowed to choose his/her classes is determined based on the results of the placement test. We will let you know how to check for your placement test results by email. You may not be able to take some of the classes you opted to take depending on your test results.
- If your test result differs from the level of classes you want to take, you may consult with the coordinators during the advisory service for class registration. The score of the placement will be announced by E-mail. If you wish to take the advisory service, make an online reservation in advance through the URL put in the E-mail mentioned above.
- Notes on the capacity of the Intermediate Japanese Courses:
Intermediate Japanese Course I, II and Advanced Japanese Course held in Katsura Campus are limited to 8 students for each course. If the number of applicants exceeds the limit, selections will be made by lottery.
Reminders about Taking Japanese Language Support Classes
- Dropping a class
- Students who cannot continue attending a class must inform their instructor and the office of the Liberal Arts and Sciences Courses Student Desk (1st floor of the Institute for Liberal Arts and Sciences building #87) that they are dropping the class.
- Information on class cancellations
- All information on class cancellations and other class-related issues are communicated through the bulletin board at the Yoshida International House. Inquiries by telephone will not receive a reply.
- Cancellation of classes and make-up exams
- Classes may be cancelled in the case of weather warnings and suspension of transportation services. Please check the bulletin board at the Yoshida International House about information regarding make-up classes in the event a class is cancelled.
- Office Hours for Japanese Language Studies
- If you need advice concerning your Japanese language studies, you may contact us during office hours.
Monday KAWAI, Junko 14:45-16:15 Tuesday IEMOTO, Tarou 13:00-14:30 Wednesday YUKAWA, Shikiko 14:45-16:15 Thursday PALIHAWADANA, Ruchira 14:45-16:15 Friday AKUZAWA, Koyo 14:45-16:15
The schedule for registering classes for the second semester in 2020 is as follows.
|September 1 (Tue) 9:00||STEP1 of online registration through the Japanese language registration webpage opens|
|September 10 (Thu) 13:00||STEP1 of online registration closes|
|September 14 (Mon)
～ September 16 (Wed)
|Placement test (online)|
|September 25 (Fri) 9:00||
Announcement of placement test score by e-mail
STEP2 of online registration opens
|September 29 (Tue) 13:00||STEP2 of online registration closes|
|October 1 (Thu)||Classes begin||October 12 (Mon)||Advisory service|
|October 20 (Tue)||Final Placement Test|
|October 23 (Fri)||Final deadline for class registration|